Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It is hard to tell your friends..

It has been more than 3 weeks since I found a lump on my breast and 2 weeks since I was told that I have Triple Negative Invasive Dutal Carcinoma, Grade 3. The new came on Friday, June 29th. I had no where to go to seek info or help but the Internet. Unfortunately, the Internet is full of negative news about Triple Negative Breast Cancer. I felt I was given a death sentence.

I found myself learning so much about cancer, specifically triple negative cancer within a short period time. However, things still puzzled me. In desperation, I picked up the phone and called Mayo Clinic. Luckily, I got an appointment on July 6th. What I thought was just 90 minutes appointment turned into more tests and day to stay at Mayo Clinic. I was so impressed with Dr. Stan and Mayo Clinic that the thought of seeking treatment at Mayo seeded in my mind.

So the journey began.

Right before I took my second trip to Mayo, I decided to tell my research group at work about the news. I rounded up the group in the conference room and told everyone as much as I knew. I thought it went very well with my cheerful and positive attitude. However, it was not possible to tell everyone I work wtih. I sat down in front of my computer on that same eveninIg to write my email. To my surprise, it was one of the hardest thing to do. It literally took me more than an hour to write the follow message.

Subject: An unwanted visitor

"Waking up one day, I found out that I have an unwanted visitor. His name is Breast Cancer. He thought he could just come and stay quietly with me. He was wrong. He got caught. He thought I am friendly, but what he did not know is that I am a tough fighter.
I have knowledge and advanced medical technology on my side. I have God look over me. I have friends and family love and support me. He can only cause some temporary inconvenience to my life. In no time, I will be the winner over this war. He has no chance with me!
Fight with me, my friends. I am determined to win! Do not feel sorry for me as I am not a victim, but a winner to be. If I am not here doing my job, I am out there in the battle field. Say a prayer quietly for me as I will be back in no time."

I was overwhelmed with supports.

No comments:

Post a Comment