Saturday, September 8, 2012

News - from not so good to good and great!

This is the week that is full of good and not so good news and some great news of all!

The first not so good news is that the allergic reaction I have is getting worse. I had blister like rash on both of my hands by Monday and they traveled up all the way to my arms. I also got rashes on my legs which I believe are different type - the type I typically get when I get infection by going into public hot tubs. With my immune system is low, I think the few minutes I stood in Lake Michigan last weekend caused me the same type infection even though I had taken a shower immediately after. Long story short, I had hard time to coop with the rash and lost some sleep last week. My family doctor here referred me to a local dermatologist. Sadly I had to decline their appointment offer because they could not see me until the first week of October despite the fact that I explained her my situation needs immediately attention. By October I would have already done this round of chemo!

The good news is that I could see a dermatologist at Mayo Clinic. I am always amazed at how I could not get a local doctor to see me, but Mayo Clinic could. After failing to get a local Dermatologist, I called Mayo. Two hours later, I got a call back and was told me that an appointment had been added to see a dermatologist on Friday after my chemo. I got new and stronger medicine from the dermatologist. I also got a biopsy of the rash to rule out if it is not something else coincidently appears with the chemo cycle. I should know the result in a few days. I truly love their scientific approach. No guessing. Let's collect some data first - absolutely my type of thinking!

The 2nd no so good news is that although my blood counts are continuing to be good, as good as someone who is not on chemo according to my friend, my liver function results are totally out of the range. From my unprofessional, non-medical doctor's understanding is that my liver has been working extra hard to get rid of the toxic substance in my body (chemo drug), it is too stressed now.

However, the good news is that I still can have my #9 chemo, but at a 50% reduced dose. Next week, we hope my liver function will be better. If not, I either get a more reduced dose or take a break. As a result, Today's chemo was very uneventful. I did not get a chance to sleep this time. Bert and I played two rounds of Yahtzee(sp?) game and he let me win both times:). Also after the premed of these anti-allergy medicines, my rashes went down drastically. I think if my prediction is right, these rashes will come back on Monday and Tuesday when my chemo effects are the highest. The smaller dose may produce less or no rash this week. And more good news yet is that even if my allergy reaction is too sever to continue this chemo, I am already on my 9th round and stopping it will have little or no effect on my overall prognosis! The next round chemo is different drug. My body will not have the same reaction.

The 3rd not so good news is that my left wrist hurts me because of all the infusion so far has been on my left hand. The good news is that an ultrasound was performed and I believe the result shows all my veins are still good with no clogging. Some heat therapy will help to heal. The rest of chemo will be infused on my right hand. It is just fair game - 8 on the left and 8 on the right:). Now think of it, I am 1/2 way through my chemo by he number!!

All these added appointments delayed my return to home today. Thanks to my friends Elizabeth for taking care of my girls after school. They had a great time participating some fun activities with her children.

And now for the great news -
The first great news is that I am told I am a survivor!! I have never labeled myself as a cancer surviver. I still have the tumor in my body. I figured, I would not call myself a survivor until, maybe one year after I am cancer free or five year perhaps. So today, I tentatively asked one of the nurses who is in charge of my infusion when someone could be considered a survivor. She turned around and looked right into my eyes and said "you are now!". She then said anyone who is diagnosed is a survivor. Although no one can guarantee my prognosis, for the first time, I truly believed that I AM A SURVIVOR!! - that is one of the best news of today!

The 2nd great news is a great service my company is offering to all female employees and qualified dependents. Thanks to our HR and medical team for this wonderful connection. This team also put together a Healthy Mom and Healthy Baby program for all pregnant female employees and qualified dependents. I think soon we will be one of the best companies for working women!

There will be a celebration to the end of my first round of Chemo the first week of October. By then, I wish and pray that every female employees at Gentex and qualified dependents all have a clean bill of health and is well educated about women's health!

No comments:

Post a Comment