Sunday, August 26, 2012

Round#7


Round#7 chemo went uneventfully. I went to the chemo without my wig for the first time. I had a head wrap with me. I did not realize how cold you could feel when you don't have hair. I regretted that I did not wear something warmer, like the hat Judy C. from work made for me. Josh who came with me and I were talking about buying a hat on our way there. As soon as I walked in the clinic, I remembered there are many places you could pick up free hats, scarves or bandanas that are made with love by volunteers. For the first time I realize how important these gifts are. I picked one from the basket. I feel the love from a stranger. Thank you whoever you are!

As usual, I slept through my chemo. I felt tired even after I got home and slept three hour more. Thanks for the delicious dinner brought by the Myers'. Kids already helped themselves before I woke up. I even did not have a chance to take a photo!

After all the sleep, I felt energized. I went to Gentex to be a part of Livestrong, To Be Continued, 24 hour cycling event. I biked only 10 miles. It did not make me tired enough to sleep well at night. The next morning, I got up earlier for Gentex Golf Open. I had a great time playing golf with Kurt, Justin and Chuck from HR team. Unfortunately, my energy level dropped quickly. I had even hard time to drive home. I slept another 3 hours and missed my chance to go back to the Livestrong event.

I have to say that my energy level really frustrats me. Last week, I had to take naps after work on Monday and Tuesday. I had talked to some other people at work and some had told me that taking a nap after work is part of their routine. But this is so not me!! I typically stay up and constantly on the go for 16-18 hours straight in a day. Friday's blood test results show that my red blood counts continue to be low. I think that is the true reason why I am tired easily. But these numbers are really not consider too bad.

Test NameTest DateResultNormalRange
August 24, 2012
11.4 g/dL 
12.0 - 15.5
August 24, 2012
34.2 

34.9 - 44.5
August 24, 2012
3.77 x10(12)/L 
3.90 - 5.03


Some people asked how my family is doing. I am happy to report that everything seems to be normal at home. Toby is already back to college for two weeks. Joshua will be going back by the end of this month. Anna and Jenny just returned from Blue Lake Music camp. They both had a great time. They played 6 hours or so instrument each day. Jenny plays flute. Anna is the only Bass Clarinet at the camp. She got a lot one-on-one lessons. Their final performance was wonderful. Right now, they can't wait for their school to start after Labor Day.
Anna and Jenny with their friends at Blue Lake Camp


My husband Bert is doing great. He obviously takes on even more housework than usual. The more important role he is playing is to provide a big shoulder for me to put my head on when I need one. I was very frustrated last week that I had to "waste" my time to sleep more. I love my work and time goes fast there and I don't feel tired there at all. But once I get home, I have this mental shut down and my body goes with it. I have so many things I would like to do at home too, but now I am leaving more things to him. He never complains. He dose more housework than me anyway. But I think he has "chemo" moment too. Here is what I found when I opened the dishwasher to unload it the other day. My poor husband had loaded two fresh peppers into the dishwasher!! He said, they must have rolled off the counter, but I don't believe him:).

Cook Peppers in the dishwasher? Must be chemo effect:)

I am so proud of my husband for running a 5K color burst run today with Jenny. Since he ran his first 5K ever with me two months ago, he has been doing his exercise regularly and lost more than 20 lbs! Way to go Bert!

The Franz Team (Jenny and Bert) at Color Burst Run


Other than being tired, I don't any other side effects. I continue to be able to work four days a week. Other than my frustration with tiredness, I have no other sad feelings. I think I am more accepting to the tiredness now. It may be God's way to tell me to slow down. I still try to run/walk or bike a few times a week just to keep in good shape.

I told my fight crew at work to take a break because there will be nothing new going one from now until week#12. Guess what. They did not listen. My friend Lori Q said to me that you don't take a break so wouldn't we! How blessed I am to have such wonderful friends. Last Thursday, they surprised me with a basket of cancer fighting food. I am amazed at their ability of continuing to find creative ways to encourage me. I have so much to learn from them as I feel that I have done so little to help others. Our whole family has been enjoy on these healthy snacks.

some of the antioxidant rich foods that fight free radicals (that cause cancer) and slow the aging process. 

They are right, eating healthy food is a part of fighting again cancer. The package comes with list of Antioxidant Rich Foods compiled by Dana R. I am sharing it here so others can benefit from it.
(not in particular order)
Almonds, Artichokes, Asparagus, Black Beans, Black Plums, Blackberries, Broccoli, Cranberries, Cultivated Blueberries, Eggplants, Gala Apples, Granny Smith Apples, Pecans, Pinto Beans, Popcorn (air popped), Prunes, Raspberries, Red Delicious Apples, Red Kidney Beans, Russet Potatoes, Small Red Beans, Spinach, Standard Plums, Strawberries, Sweet Cherries, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Walnuts, Wild Blueberries, Yellow Onions. And Dark Chocolate according to Lori Q.

Let's all try to live a healthy life!!



2 comments:

  1. Sue, Learning to take care of ourselves (rest when we need it) is just as important to our overall health as chemo and good nutrition. Here's to you and givng yourself permission to nap! I am praying for you, standing and fighting with you, Blessings Erin

    ReplyDelete