Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Feel like a SURVIVOR!

I can't believe it has been more than 2 weeks since my surgery! I can't say I am having fun, but time surely flies. The first week went by very fast since the whole family was staying in the hotel. We were lucky to find a hotel that has kitchennette, pool and pet friendly. It did not cost us an arm and leg either. Kids stayed in one suite with two queen size beds and a softa bed. Bert and I stayed in a different suite. Like Bert had described, I was so thankful to have that recliner. I think ther reason why we felt time flew by so fast is because, each day, I was making progress on recovery which made us feel like we had lept in time. Before we knew it, the week was over!

I am so thankful to have my family with me. My older kids gave up their time with their friends (especially girl friends) to spend time with Mom and take care of their younger sisters. My younger girls, though they did not fully understand the meaning of the trip, did not have any complaints. They loved to spend time with their brothers. Bert did everything for me. Without his unconditional love, I don't know if I could have survived anything!

I am also thankful to my relatives, friends and coworkers. Although they were not physically with me, I felt their presence all the time. Their prayers have been answered by God. I am cancer free! I am a survivor! I survived the initial diagnosis; I survived telling my family and friends that I had cancer; I survived 5 months of chemo; I survived more than 20 trips to Mayo Clinic; I survived the loss of my hair; I survived the surgery!

I know the road ahead of me will still be rocky for a while as I continue to recovery and go through the process of breast reconstruction. I keep telling myself that good thing does not come over night. It takes patience. It will be a good test of my patience for sure.

However, for now, I am celebrating my life as a survivor!

No comments:

Post a Comment